Home  >  Our City  >  City Departments  >  Community Development  >
  • Planning


Covina Planning Division


The Planning Division maintains the City’s comprehensive General Plan, which serves as the legal guide for all development in the community, and advises the City Council, City Manager and Planning Commission on issues involving the future development of the community.

Functions & Services

  • Advise residents, property owners and developers on the use of real property
  • Review proposals to develop, remodel or alter buildings, parking lots or other man made structures and ensure compliance with applicable zoning standards and design guidelines.
  • Maintain records and statistics on the population and demographics of the City.
  • Review the potential environmental consequences of public and private actions pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act.
  • Administer the Historic Preservation Ordinance and Plan.
  • Process requests to annex property into the City of Covina.
  • Provision of information and interpretation of the various federal, state, and local land use regulations.
  • Preparation and distribution of handouts and maps showing City Streets, zoning, demographics, development standards, and other information.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need Planning approval to build a fence/ block wall on my property?

Yes. Planning approval is required for fences, hedges, walls and retaining walls not greater than six feet in height on or within all rear and side property lines on interior lots, and corner lots when abutting a street, on or to the rear of all front yard setback lines. On a reverse corner lot, fences, hedges, walls or retaining walls not greater than six feet in height may be located in the required side yard not closer than 12.5 feet to the side property line abutting a street, on or to the rear of all front yard setback lines and on or to the front of all rear yard setback lines. Fences, hedges, walls and retaining walls not over three feet in height shall be permitted in any required front, side or rear yards abutting a street. In required corner cutback areas, only openwork fences not more than three feet in height shall be permitted. Walls, hedges and other visual obstructions are prohibited.

What do I need to obtain Planning approval for a Fence, Wall or Hedge Permit?

  • Site plan (8.5x11), your site plan should show the entire property. & Elevations showing the height and materials. Elevations can be sectionals and must be called out on the site plan. (click here for sample) 
  • Minor application form. 
  • If the wall is a shared wall, a Property Owner Agreement form is also required. 

Email all of the above requirements to [email protected] to drop off to the Planning Division

Do I need a Building Permit to build a block wall?

Free-standing walls, including retaining walls, over 6 feet in height, require a Building Permit. Free-standing walls at or under 6 feet in height, as measured from grade or finished surface, do not require a Building Permit.

Yes. A Property Owners Agreement for Shared Block Wall/Fencing is required prior to obtaining Planning Approval.

Historic Survey Report

Covina Town Center Historic Resource Survey
Prepared by Historic Resource Partners
Spring 2007

For the City of Covina

Mixed-Use Overlay District

The Mixed Use Overlay District (MUOD), consists of adding a new chapter of mixed-use overlay regulations to the City’s Zoning Ordinance and amending the City’s Official Zoning Map through the addition of a MUOD to various sites located located in Covina. the DRAFT MUOD spans 141 parcels within 13 project areas consisting of approximately 74.83 acres, excluding the Covina Town Center Specific Plan (CTCSP). 

The proposed zone change does not take away any existing underlying commercial or industrial zones and would assume there is no net increase or additional commercial and industrial development, and no specific development project is proposed in connection with the MUOD at this time. 

Why add a Mixed Use Overlay District?

Based on the Draft Housing Element (Also see our Housing Element tab), it was determined that there are insufficient sites to accommodate the City’s RHNA (Regional Housing Needs Assessment) allocation of 1,190 additional housing units for the current planning period. 

State Law requires the City to amend its land use plans and regulations to create additional opportunities for housing development. If the City fails to amend land use plans and development regulations, then the City may be subject to State–imposed fines, sanctions and other penalties such as court imposed zoning amendment, freezing building permits, and court ordered housing project approvals. 

Virtual Community Meeting

A virtual community meeting was held on June 23, 2022. Click Here for the informational flyer | Ver el folleto informativo en espanol 

Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration 

The Covina Mixed Use Overlay District Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration is available to review. Click here to obtain the document

Municipal Code Link

Planning Commission

The Planning Commission is established by State Government Code 65100 and its organization is provided by Covina Municipal Code Section 2.28.010; and is composed of five members. Each member shall be a resident of the City.

Duties include, but are not limited to, the conduct of hearings relating to variances, conditional-use permits, zoning regulations, the review of the General Plan, the conduct of studies, and other duties as required or authorized.

Members Term Expiration
Rosie Richardson
Dan McMeekin
John Connors
Bryan Rodriguez
Susan Zermeno
When and where are Planning Commission Meetings held?

Planning Commission meetings take place on the Second and Fourth Tuesday of every month. Meeting Agendas are posted on the City website calendar, and on the public display board located on the south entrance of City Hall on College Street on the Thursday before the scheduled meeting date. The meetings take place in the Council Chambers of city Hall located on the north side entrance and is accessible through the courtyard. the Meetings begin promptly at 7PM.

How can I participate or view?

Participation can be in person or via zoom. For interested persons only wishing to view online, you may click the "live video in progress" banner located on the video page at the time of the regular meeting. The planning commission meetings are open to the public, and can be accessed through the courtyard located on the north side of city hall. Residents wishing to submit comments may submit one of our yellow speaking cards available at the chamber entrance and present it to city staff. Zoom participants may also speak during the public comments periods and instructions are located on the agenda for each meeting. For those wishing to submit comments before a meeting is held, you may do so by submitting an email to [email protected], dropping off your comments at our service counter, or by writing your comments in a letter directed to:

ATTN: Planning Division
City of Covina
125 E College Street
Covina, CA 91723

Can a Planning Commission Meeting be Canceled?

A Planning Commission meeting may be canceled if there if there are no items and no announcements. A "notice of cancellation" will be posted on the city website calendar, on the council chamber entrance, and our public display board by the Thursday before the scheduled Planing Commission regular meeting date.

Can I be added to a notification list?

Yes.  If you would like to be added to receive notification emails for upcoming Planning Commission meetings, you may submit a request to [email protected]. In your request please specify whether you would like only specific agenda item notifications or if you would like to be notified of all agendas. Notifications are sent the Thursday prior to the scheduled planning commission meeting. 

 Click Here to access the video recordings for the Planning Commission and City Council Meetings.

Click here to see the Planning Commission Event Calendar, which includes Agendas, Agenda Packets, and Minutes, 

You can also contact the City Clerk's office for Public Records Requests.

Residential Development Standards

The below tables with development standards are meant as a quick reference to the lot sizes, lot coverage, setbacks, building and structure heights. The property owners, applicants, architects and designers must check with all development standards and other regulations contained in Covina Municipal Code Title 17.

link to Municipal Code:!/Covina17/Covina17.html


(1) See additional requirements for accessory buildings, patio covers, fence, walls, hedges, etc. under CMC Sections 17.26.050 through 17.26.210.

(2)  Distance between buildings means between two adjacent main dwellings (houses).

For Multi-Family Development Standards, Click Here. 

Click any thumbnail image to view a slideshow

Supporting documents

Tree Preservation (Oak Tree)

The City of Covina requires the preservation of mature trees to protect a valuable community resource. By preserving mature trees, we can improve the beauty, air quality, and property values of the community. 

Preserving Mature Trees: 

  • Large mature trees provide habitat for wildlife and birds. 
  • They moderate the climate, improve air quality, and increase property value. 
  • Mature tees are also a historic resource. 

Heritage Trees: 

  • Trees with a trunk diameter of at least 10 inches are protected as heritage trees. 
  • Trees of the following species are protected: Quercus (oaks)
  • Trees designated by the city council as heritage trees are also protected.

Obtaining a Tree Preservation Permit: 

  • No person may damage a heritage tree without obtaining a permit. 
  • An application for a tree preservation permit must be submitted to the Chief Planning Official.
    • The Application must include 
    • Name and address of the applicant and property owner. 
    • Evidence of ownership. 
    • Location of the property.
    • A photograph of the tree(s). 
    •  A site plan. 
    • A report from a certified arborist or licensed forester (may be waived for single-family residences)
    • Mailing list and self-adhesive labels for properties within 300 feet of the subject property. 

Fees for a Tree Preservation Permit: 

  • Tree Preservation Permit Minor: $1,128.00 (one tree)
  • Tree Preservation Permit Regular: $2,205.00 (more than one tree)

Contact Us

If you have any questions, please contact the planner on duty at (626) 384-5450. 

Zoning Map

Click HERE for Covina Zoning Wall map!